Why Cloth Diapers Are Better Than Disposable Diapers
Think cloth diapers are the old flat, thin pieces of cloth that you pin up and put plastic pants over? Not anymore! We loved this video by Genevieve over at Mama Natural. She highlights the 6 reasons why cloth diapers are better than disposable diapers - and 1 reason why they're not. Modern cloth diapers offer new fabrics, simple on / off and they're easy to wash at home. In summary the 6 reasons cloth diapers are better are:
- Cloth Diapers are cheaper - Disposable diapers are at least $2,000 until potty training happens vs. twenty Rumparooz one-size cloth diapers which end up being less than $400. Even with detergent, electric & the water bills, and you’re still looking at half the cost of disposables.
- Cloth diapers are better for the environment - An average child will go through anywhere from 4000-8000 in his or her life. An estimated 27.4 billion disposable diapers (3.4 million tons of diapers in landfills) each year in the USA. Compare that to 20 cloth diapers used repeatedly, even through multiple children, and you have a dramatic decrease in waste.
- Cloth diapers are more absorbent - Cloth diapers are generous and contain messes better than disposable diapers.
- Disposable diapers contain nasty chemicals - Most disposables are bleached with Dioxin (linked to nerve damage) and contain Sodium Polyacrylate (linked to toxic shock syndrome, as well as allergic reactions, and it’s is potentially lethal to pets). No thank you!!
- Cloth diapers may help protect your baby boy’s "package" - Disposable diapers keep your baby's genitals at a higher temperature than cloth diapers which could be linked to low sperm count. More research is being done on that now.
- Cloth diapers are absolutely cuter than disposables - Enough said there! :)