Fraud Blocker First Friday Birth Story! This month: Kara Gill and her baby girl, Haz | Kanga Care

First Friday Birth Story! This month: Kara Gill and her baby girl, Hazel!

We love birth stories! Each one is unique and amazing. If you'd like to share yours, you can use the button below to submit it. We will read (and probably cry) over each one, and then post one on the first Friday of every month! 

Mama: Kara Gill
Baby: Hazel
Due Date: Sunday, July 8, 2012
Birthday: Thursday, June 28, 2012

Hazel was completely breech and had been for weeks, maybe months. I was scheduled for a c-section but I didn't want one. I tried acupuncture, chiropractic care, moxibustion, laying upside down on a board! Then I went for an ECV (external cephalic version) at 38 weeks. It was painful and didn't produce any results. The doctor told me that they didn't try too hard and the chances that I would go into labour were minimal.

After enjoying a big breakfast (since I had fasted overnight), I still didn't feel well. My stomach ached and I was nauseated. It didn't feel like contractions though. I went home to sleep and then suddenly felt a craving for wings! Since it was Wing Wednesday at a local pub, my husband and I decided to enjoy an evening on the patio. I figured my contractions had started, but I assumed they were Braxton Hicks.

I took a bath that evening and went to bed. The contractions slowed until 6 am when I decided to start timing them and take another bath. They were 7-9 minutes apart and mostly just felt like I ate bad sushi. Again, they slowed right down. We were just moving into our new home that week and because of that, none of the baby stuff was ready. The house wasn't even finished yet!

On Thursday June 28, I picked up my mom and drove to the new house to start building the baby's dresser and start putting away her clothes and cloth diapers. Since the washing machine wasn't hooked up, I couldn't use my cloth diaper stash right away, so I had to start with disposables. My contractions continued throughout the day and I warned my husband that I might call him if they get stronger. By 3pm they were getting too strong so I called for a ride to the hospital. I didn't hear from him for 45 minutes! He was in a very important meeting at work and didn't hear me calling!! After he realized what was happening, he was at the new home in just ten minutes and we headed to the hospital!

I was sure I was in labour now, as I couldn't talk through the contractions and the pain took my breath away. After a quick check and a long wait, sure enough I was 4 cm dilated and it was time to have my c-section. I was hooked up to all the machines and had to labour laying on my side, without moving too much. It was very uncomfortable and my contractions were coming every 3 min. After an uneventful section, I got to meet my daughter Hazel, only 5lbs 9oz. The cord was wrapped around her body twice which explains why she wasn't turning!! They were concerned about her small size, but we got to come home on the Sunday of that week!!

Thanks, Kara for sharing your story with us! Hazel is beautiful! Happy (belated) first birthday!!

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published